I love my valentine!

This year, Valentine's day was the first of our "round three" of holidays. KR and I have been each other's valentine three years in a row.
KR and I had barely started dating and he asked me on a date for Valentine's in 2008. I remember chatting online with my dad about the upcoming date.
13:35] Heather: hi dad
[13:35] Mark: HI
[13:36] (8)Heather(8): guess what i have a date tomorrow1
[13:36] Heather: !
[13:36] Mark: WITH A BOY
[13:36] Heather: hahah
[13:36] Mark: cool
[13:36] Mark: is he HOT
[13:36] Heather: hahah
[13:36] Heather: hes really cute
We got a little off topic for a minute but then the conversation continued:
[13:40] Mark: cool
[13:41] Mark: so did the guy ask you out
[13:41] Heather: ya
[13:41] Heather: we're in the same social group and it was pretty well known that we like each other
[13:41] Heather: held hands and stuff :)
[13:41] Mark: like for real, not just hay lets do something
[13:42] Mark: holding hands and not dated yet
[13:42] Heather: well he asked what i was doing thursday and i told him my schedule and he said we should definitely do something and he said he wants to find a good place to eat
[13:42] Heather: yes, scandalous
[13:42] Mark: seems backwards
[13:42] Heather: oh brother
[13:42] Mark: so give me his bio
[13:43] Mark: you know, everything about him
[13:43] Heather: hahah
[13:44] Heather: he's back from his mission, my age, he went to texas, spanish speaking
[13:44] Heather: from oregon
[13:44] Heather: likes skiing
[13:44] Heather: but not a fan of the cold
[13:45] Mark: tall?
[13:45] Heather taller than me
[13:45] Heather: like 6 foot
[13:45] Mark: hair
[13:45] Heather: brown
[13:45] Heather: eyes brown
[13:45] Heather: long eye lashes
[13:45] Heather: lushous lips
[13:45] Heather: haha jk
. . .
[13:59] Mark: what is his name
[13:59] Heather: KR
[13:59] Mark: ?
[13:59] Mark: Not JR
[14:00] Heather: nope
[14:00] Mark: just KR
[14:00] Heather: It stands for Kenneth Richards
[14:00] Heather(8): but thats his dads name
[14:00] Heather: so he goes by KR
[14:00] Mark: is it K for short
[14:00] Heather: lol no
[14:01] Mark: is richards his last name or middle
[14:02] Heather: middle
[14:02] Mark: what is his last name
[14:02] Heather: stevens
[14:02] Mark: I want to do a FBI search to see if it is ok to date you
I love reading through this. Little did I know I was telling my dad about the boy I am going to be sealed to forever. Little did I know that last name, Stevens, would be given to me in marriage. Little did I know that my valentine in 2008 would be my eternal valentine, for time and all eternity.

Anyway, back to the story.
I was so nervous while getting ready. I wanted to look nice, which I found so hard to do back then when it was freezing outside. It seems you have to compromise one or the other: style or warmth. I remember on the drive up to the restaurant in Sandy, he put on country music and my crush got deeper. If you'll recall, I love a little country side to a boy and it melted my heart that he wasn't one of those "I'm too cool for country music" guys. At dinner, he ordered lamb and it's amazing the things we'll do to impress a boy we really like. Yes, I tried the lamb. I also have not eaten lamb since. It was such a good night. We were so relaxed and interested in each other. I knew I wanted to see more of this boy.

Last year, we were in a steady relationship, and things were progressing, slowly but surely. KR's parents were in town and so we had plans to drive up to Catherine and Brian's. I made a valentine's breakfast for KR and I just remember being so anxious for him to get there so we could start our Valentine's day. I also remember getting up really early to clean the kitchen because my roommates had left it a mess and I wanted everything to be perfect for KR. We had pancakes, with berries on top, because I knew he's from Oregon and he loves fresh berries (this was before I had been and tasted them myself. I vowed to never waste money on store-bought berries again- they will never be as good). After I gave him his heart-shaped brownies, we headed to his sister's. Lucky for him, I fell asleep in the car and when I woke up, we were in Salt Lake City. He took me to the SLC Library- on my list of things to do before I die- and I was so surprised. It was so sweet and I was beaming the entire time we walked around the magnificent building. We went down to the children's books and I remember sitting in the little chairs, being silly and swapping stories about when we were little and what our favorite books were. It made me smile to imagine him as a little boy, so curious and full of life. I loved that he hadn't lost that part of him; even though he was so smart and knowledgeable, he hadn't lost that curiosity about the world and how things work. I remember loving that he listened to me and was thoughtful enough to plan taking me to a place I had wanted to go since before I even fathomed moving to Utah. I remember loving that he surprised me; I love surprises.

After the library and back en route, we made cookies at Catherine's, with his mom, Calene, Anna and Coral. I remember wanting to impress his parents so much that I was completely stressed while trying to make my cookies look good. I wanted them to like me so badly, I couldn't even start frosting, out of fear of messing up. I am already a perfectionist with crafts and if it's not just right, I get upset. So now I had even more to be anxious about. Once I did start, though, I remember the feeling of accomplishment when his mom complimented me on my poodle cookie. I was so happy! Of course, I also wanted to impress KR. We hadn't even come close to talking about marriage (and we still wouldn't until later that year, in August) but I so wanted to prove to him I could be a good homemaker and wife some day (not that cookie talent proves that; it's just what I was thinking). It made me smile that he wasn't "too cool to make cookies with the girls" and got in there and decorated a few. He impressed me with his talent, too. The rest of the day was spent with his family and I just continued to get to know them and feel more and more comfortable. I secretly hoped I would be apart of this family as more than just a tag-along girlfriend. Little did I know :)

Which brings us to our third and most recent Valentine's day together. Because the holiday was on a Sunday, we got to do a little celebrating for two days. Saturday, we went to a breakfast buffet, something I used to do a lot growing up and was just recently telling KR I missed doing. After breakfast, we did something incredible. We registered! KR and I have always loved looking at kitchen gadgets and appliances, and we've always been on the same level as each other: we can't wait to have our own kitchen and all our plates and forks and utensils uniform and not have messy roommates. Once we started planning a marriage together, we started (and still are) counting the days until we can have our own kitchen together. We went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and although at first, we were completely overwhelmed (we made the mistake of starting in the silverware tray section- what size silverware and how big will our drawers be?) and so KR calmed me down and suggested we start with something we know more about. We headed to the kitchen gadgets and started choosing things.

I loved how well we worked as a team. We both voiced our opinions, we agreed on almost everything and the things we didn't, we compromised and did a little give-and-take. I remember being conscious many times of how well we were working together. After quite a long time, we got some food to rejuvenate ourselves and started for round two at Target. At BB&B, we were both equally interested in what sort of things we chose for our kitchen. There were a few things we referred to as for me, but when we got to Target, I let KR take the reigns completely. We went to the sporting goods and he got to choose a tent, lantern, air mattresses, and many other camping things (for the chairs, we chose our own- they match but mine was pink and his was blue). We perused the store a while longer, registering for more fun things for KR (and a few for me as possible shower gifts haha- some really cute, pink yoga and work out items!), and then we were ready to revisit kitchen products. We were renewed and excited all over and again and we just had a great time. I'm not sure if that's normal, but we had a blast registering. Only downfall was how long it took and how badly my feet hurt when done.

Sunday, Valentine's day, I went to KR's for breakfast before church and then we both gave the prayers in Sacrament. I couldn't help but smile (after it was over, since I was a bit nervous before) to think it was a glimpse in to married life in our own little family ward someday soon.
I made KR cupcakes!
I think they look like space
We exchanged presents. Like my wrapping job? I love anything associated with Valentine's day, and I even thought the Micheal's ad was pretty (plus it was the only thing I could find last minute to wrap with).
Our Valentine's day dinner wouldn't be complete without something heart-shaped. My idea was to make heart-shaped garlic bread. KR humored me.
After dinner, we went to Sundance to try out the telescope. It was incredible. It's not a very powerful telescope but we could still see the rainbow colors in the stars and it was beautiful up in the mountains. We both enjoyed it.
Last but not least, KR surprised me at the end of the night with pink roses. I was really surprised and I loved them (still do)!
I had a wonderful, amazing Valentine's day and I was so grateful for how loved I felt. I am grateful for KR and how happy I am with him. I am looking forward to many, many more Valentine's together.
1 comment:
Aw so cute!!! It looks like you guys had an awesome two days! :D love you!!
Post a Comment