Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Banana Ice Cream!!

A few weeks ago, or even maybe months, Catherine showed me a posting on a blog that was for something she thought I would enjoy. It was for one-ingredient ice cream. The one ingredient? Bananas!


Well, I had a few bananas that were turning brown so I stuck them in the freezer, for the purpose of testing this idea out.

Tonight I made banana ice cream!! It was SO good!!

I first had to peel the bananas which is very difficult while they are frozen. My thumb is still hurting from how cold it got.

Then I sliced them up and threw them in the food processor. I am sure a blender would work just as well.

I felt like it wasn't blending very well, so I added a little bit of milk (don't add too much or it will just be a milk shake). I'm not sure why, but I got the idea to add a tiny bit of vanilla too. I am glad I did! But, this being a "one-ingredient ice cream recipe", you can do without.

I processed it all together and oh my goodness!! Heaven!!




Growing up, I loved banana shakes. I would sometimes sneak down and simply mush a banana in to my ice cream. When I go to Cold Stone, I always get banana ice cream with bananas in it. Needless to say, I love bananas. Most people learn this about me fairly soon after meeting me.

I used 3 bananas, and it made a lot! I wound up putting about two-thirds in the freezer for another day!

The best part? I didn't feel an ounce of guilt while enjoying this heavenly treat. I mean, there is nothing in it that I should feel guilty about. Bananas? A tiny bit of milk? A tiny bit of vanilla?

I am very excited about this.

4 comments:

The Nedrys said...

I saw this on a blog as well and have been meaning to try it. Vanilla is a fantastic addition...I will be doing that too. Something I started doing with my freezer bananas was actually peeling them and slicing them up and putting them in a freezer bag...that way you can use them easier and not have to try to peel them frozen. It works great and my breads and stuff turn out just the same!

Heather said...

Emily! So smart!!! Thanks for the tip!!!! Seriously it was the worst! I finally had to stab it with a knife while "carving" it with another knife. It was slipping around and making a mess haha.
I am definitely still learning and trying to get a hang of this whole "domesticated" thing. I love it, but I have so much to still learn!

Team Smith Adventures said...

YUM! :)

Catherine said...

Heather, I remembered that you had made this, and I just did a search on your blog just to find this post because I couldn't remember if you ended up adding vanilla or not. I'm making banana "ice cream" this week! :) Have you made it since then? Any more tips?